Saturday, January 5, 2013

Running for Sophia

Let's talk about new shoes! How about going to Dicks and picking up a new pair of running shoes? Running shoes that will be your partner as you train for the Detroit Free Press Marathon?

The day after we found out about Sophia's diagnosis my cousin and his wife came to Hudson to meet our little angel. It was an emotional day. We were still in the hospital debating whether or not we should bring Sophia home. Hospice was calling my phone preparing to meet us at our home as we arrived with Sophia. My world was spinning and I could not wrap my head around what I had anticipated should be a joyful, happy time - brining our baby home. I broke down in tears, and cried hysterically. My family surrounded me, supported me and helped me through those moments. My cousin, Bill, was right next to me sitting on the hospital bed with his hand on my back. Once I had calmed down he told me something that meant so much to me, and made me so happy. He explained that the day before he and Kayla had gone shopping to buy something for our little girl, but nothing seemed right. So as they talked about what to buy her, they decided on something that is not a thing you buy. Kayla and Bill decided they would train and run the Detroit Marathon in October in memory of our sweet baby girl. They want to figure out a way to raise money as they put on their new running shoes, train and prepare for this event. (fundraising is still a work in progress, but I will keep you updated.) With the money they raise, they decided they would give Ethan and I the choice of what charity/organization we would like to donate in remembrance of our daughter. And on top of that Bill said that he knows as he trains he will be thinking a lot about our Sophia. And I know as he thinks of her, she will give him strength to keep going!

At Sophia's Memorial Service on December 6, 2012 I stood up and told everyone this story of what my dear cousin and wife plan on doing for our Sophia. I invited anyone who would be interested to join us  to run with them in memory of Sophia. I would like to extend the offer to anyone else out there who did not attend her service. If you are interested in running for Sophia, we would love for you to sign up for the Detroit Marathon as well. There are other options if a full marathon does not seem like your thing - half marathon, 5K, relay, and volunteer options. Whatever is up your alley, we would love for you to be with us!

Below is the link for more information and how to register for the marathon.

http://www.freepmarathon.com/

I have tossed running a marathon around before. I have never done it because I really hate running -- basically I hate it because I haven't had the strength or will power to do it! But as I think back on the days we spent in the NICU with Sophia. I think back on the strength she had. She was taken off the ventilator in less than 24 hours. She was poked, sedated,  put through numerous tests and had IVs put in and taken out of her. She lived 16 days of a life that is suppose to be "incompatible with life".  If my sweet little 4 pound baby could endure all of that and have the strength, fight and determination to live than I know I can do anything I put my mind to. (One of the many lessons she taught me while on earth.) So I challenge you. Have you ever considered training for a run of any kind? If not, are you considering it now? If so, think about the strength that 4 pound little girl had to live 16  days - gain strength and determination from her! You can do anything you put your mind and heart into. I would love to have anyone who would like to join Team Sophia to join us as we run to remember a little fighter - Our Precious Penguin Kitty Cat Sophia!

Bill and Kayla will be creating a Facebook page for Team Sophia. So be on the look out!

If you decide to participate please let me know you signed up. I would love to hear from you! It will be great to think about everyone who will be training in their new shoes this spring with my little girl in their minds.

And a special note to Bill and Kayla, thank you for the most amazing gift anyone could give a mommy.  The words, "I know I will be thinking a lot about Sophia this spring" are words that touch a mommy's heart in a way I cannot explain. Thank you for initiating this idea and helping do something great in remembrance of our daughter. We love you!



Bill and Kayla meeting little Sophia. 








No comments:

Post a Comment